.

.

Tv Shows Torrent

El uso del ING después de las preposiciones (while, after, since, without, by, on, etc)

By | Tuesday, June 17, 2014
Estudia el uso de la preposición + forma ing en estas sentencias:
While understanding her problem, I don't know what I can do to help. 
After spending so much money on the car, I can't afford a holiday.
Since moving to London, we haven't had time to go to the theatre, and
Since we moved to London, we haven't had time to go to the theatre.
Las palabras usadas comúnmente en este térmirno incluyen before, besides, by, in, on, since, through, while, with, without.
Before being changed last year, the speed limit was 70 kph.
He went to hospital after being hit on the head with a bottle.

Ejemplos con las preposiciones By, on, in +-ing

By working hard, she passed her maths exam.
They only survived by eating roots and berries in the forest.
On returning from Beijing, he wrote to the Chinese embassy.
John was the first person I saw on leaving hospital.
In criticising the painting, I knew I would offend her.
In choosing Marco, the party has moved to the left.

Podemos usar a menudo by + ing o in + ing con un significado similar.

In/By writing the essay about Spanish culture, I understood the country better. (gracias a que escribió el resultado entendió el tema.
By writing...' = el mejor mejor metodo para entender el tema fue escribir)

Compara este otro ejemplo:
By/In standing on the table, John was able to look out of the window. (el resultado de escoger el metodo para mirar por la ventana).
In standing (not By...) on the table, John banged his head on the ceiling. (= the result; John did not stand on the table in order to bang his head)
With Louise living in Spain, we don't see her often. (porque Louise vive en España).
With sunshine streaming through the window, Hugh found it impossible to sleep.

En el inglés informal, principalmente hablado, podemos también usar What with + ing para introducir una razón.

What with Philip snoring all night, and the heavy rain, I didn't sleep a wink.
What with getting up early and travelling all day, we were exhausted by the evening.
Podemos usar without + ing para decir que una segunda acción no pasa:
I went to work without eating breakfast.
They left without paying.

A menudo, sin embargo, tiene un significado similar a "aunque" o "a menos que"
Without setting out to do so, I have offended her. (= Although I didn't set out to do so...)
Without seeing the pictures, I can't judge how good they are. (= Unless I see the pictures...)
Newer Post Older Post Home