.

.

Tv Shows Torrent

Modismos Esenciales - a for effort - Abide by - etc

By | Saturday, January 07, 2012 Leave a Comment

Modismos Esenciales - a for effort - Abide by - etc

a for effort - abide by

A for effort = reconocimiento

... an a for effort recognition for having tried to do something even if it was not successful.
  • The plan didn´t work, but I´ll give you an a for effort for trying so hard.
  • Bobby played his violin in the concert and got an a for effort . It sounded terrible.


(a little) new to all this = un poco nuevo en todo esto.

(a little new to all this an apologetic way of saying that one is experiencing something new or participaring in something new and is therefore ineffective or inept.

  • I´m sorry, I´m slow. I´m a little new to all this.
  • She is new to this. She needs pratice.


Abide by / obedecer las ordenes

Abide by something to follow the rules of something; to obey someone´s orders.

  • John felt that he had to abide by his father´s wishes.
  • All drivers are expected to abide by the rules of the road.


Able to breathe (easily) again and able to breathe (freely) again = volver a respirar otra vez. 

Able to relax and recover from a busy or stressful time; able to catch one´s breath. (Also literal. Able to can be replaced with can.)

  • Now that the lion had been caught, we´ll be able to breathe freely again. 
  • Now that the annual sale is over, the sales stuff will be able to breathe again.
  • Final exams are over, so I can breathe easily again.


Able to make something, able to attend an event = capaz de hacer algo

  • I don´t think I´ll be able to make your  party , but thanks for asking me. 
  • We are having another one next month. I hope you can make it then.


Able to take a joke = capaz de coger una pobra

Able to take a joke to be able to accept ridicule good-naturedly; to be the object or butt of a joke willingly.

  • Let´s play a trick on Bill and see if he´s able to take a joke.
  • Better not tease Ann. She can´t take a joke.


Able to take just so much = capaz de aceptar lo justo para no cabrearse

Able to take just so much able to endure only a limited amount of discomfort.

  • Please stop hurting my feelings. I´m able to take just so much before I get ungry.
  • I can take just so much.
Newer Post Older Post Home

0 comments: