.

.

Tv Shows Torrent

Warnings about English camps are overreaction

By | Monday, July 23, 2012 Leave a Comment

A warning by Russia's embassy in London to Russian parents, who send their children to summer schools in the UK, has created something of a stir. On its website, the embassy said it had received complaints that some students had been ‘coarsely’ treated, refused food by their hosts or put up with so-called ‘families of homosexuals’.
Russian and UK gay activists meanwhile have strongly condemned the embassy’s warning. Caroline Drewett, owner and director of the 'Coast to Coast' English language school in the town of Ascot, Berkshire, on what she thought of the Russian embassy’s warnings to parents of students coming to the UK.

We have a lot of students from Russia and Russian speaking countries on our camp. They all tend to be incredibly happy with the food, with the situation. We obviously speak to our children every day, check that they’re ok. We’ve never had any complaints. I’m in touch with a number of other language schools, residential camps and homestay organizations none of which have ever had any complaints.
What are some of the criteria that families have to meet in order to receive these students?
They have to be checked by the government, they have no previous convictions. We go to the families themselves, our school itself is completely accredited. And we go through incredibly rigorous check. The accreditation company comes to our school, they interview all of the staff, they interview all of the students including previous Russian students. And they basically say if everything is ok, if something needs to be improved.
You have a lot of Russian students and students from the Russian speaking countries. You’re based in Ascot, I understand. Why is that place so popular for Russian students?
They really like the fact that we’re a very quaint English town. It’s very traditional. It’s very English.
Diplomats have blamed companies that organize these trips for these negative reports.
Some language schools actually do use agents. Personally we don’t use any. We speak directly to the families. We speak directly to the parents. And if there’s any problem – I e-mail parents daily, I send them photos daily. And they can fix their children every other day. But if you go through an agency – there’s a lot more lack, you don’t really know, you’re guessing. If you speak to the company directly - then you’ve got much of the chance of really understanding where you’re sending your child.
So your advice would be not to go through these agencies.
No, I would say – go directly to the language school. And then you can speak to the director. I mean, when I speak to parents who send their children up, they have the knowledge that I will be with their children every day. I haven’t gone through companies in Turkey, an agent in London when children are 50 miles away. I think that makes a difference.
So these warnings are slightly hysterical as far as you’re concerned?
I’m saying that nothing’s happened from my experience on our camp and with the camps that I know in our area – that’s absolutely nothing similar to this. I’m sure this is one of incidences which managed to get back to the wrong people.
Newer Post Older Post Home

0 comments: